Adobe FrameMaker: Resolving Chapter Numbering Issues
by Barb Binder
I was asked this question twice today: once during today’s Introduction to FrameMaker 9/10 class, and again via email by a student from a past FrameMaker class:
I’m […] trying to get book chapters to auto-number. I have added them to my book, carefully following instructions in the guide, but I am getting duplicate numbers. If it’s worth anything, I did reuse chapters from another manual to create this book. I have kept everything in a folder and I built the book in that same folder. I’ve tried several times to build this book – the very definition of insanity – trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. All I want for Christmas is to get this book off my desk!!
The good news is that there is a very easy fix. Here’s how:
- Start by opening the book file as shown in the screen shot above.
- Next, tell the first chapter in the book window that it gets to be chapter 1: Click once to select the first numbered chapter in the book window. (In this example, click once on Chapter 1- Course Overview.)
- Choose Format > Document > Numbering (or Right click > Numbering).
- Select the Chapter tab.
- Activate the radio button for Chapter #. Set the # to 1, and the Format to Numeric (14).
- Click Set to update the book.
- Finally, tell all the other chapters to number consecutively down the list: Click the 2nd chapter in the book window, then SHIFT click the last chapter. (In this example, click on Chapter 2 – HCCT Navigation, then hold the SHIFT key and click on Chapter 1 – Document Manager.)
- Return to Format > Document > Numbering.
- Activate the radio button for Continue Numbering From Previous Chapter in Book.
- Click Set to update the book, and voila, the numbers are fixed.
I love getting to play Santa! Happy holidays, everyone. See you in 2012.