Adobe InDesign: I Can’t Select a Frame
by Barb Binder, Adobe Certified Instructor on InDesign
Selecting a frame should be easy: choose the Selection tool (the black arrow), place your cursor over the frame and click. Works great, until it doesn’t. Here are some of the reasons why you may not be able to select a frame:
- It’s an empty, unassigned frame. In that case, click on the frame edge rather than in the middle.
- The frame is locked. Choose Object > Unlock all on Spread.
- The frame is on a locked layer. Open Window > Layers. Look over each layer and if you find a padlock icon in the second column, click it to unlock the layer.
- The frame is on a master page. Open Window > Pages and navigate to the master pages.
- It is under another frame:
- Hold the Control key (Command key on a Mac), hover over the frame and click until the frame edges show that it is selected, or
- Click the corresponding selection dot in the Layers panel.